Parent to Parent
“I finally have someone who understands what I’m going through. A lot of my family members just don’t understand.”
Parent to Parent is the cornerstone of Parents Reaching Out. Volunteers known as DreamWeavers in our Family Leadership Action Network connect with families through parent to parent matches. By connecting parents with each other, we empower families and put them in touch with the resources and information available for their child. Many parents discover how important it is to connect with another parent who knows first hand the feelings they are experiencing.
Parent to Parent offers:
- Connections to families with similar needs and experiences
- To discuss ideas, concerns, information or questions
- To ask about therapy, equipment, programs or medication, or community resources
- To seek friendship & support
- Information on local, state and national resources and organizations and support groups
- Workshops for parents who would like to become volunteers
- Presentations for professionals, parent groups and other community organizations
Parents whose children are in similar situations are matched based on various needs - age of child, community, issues or concerns, school or grade, diagnosis, disability or illness. Networks of well-informed and empowered families who can tell their story can make a positive difference as education and healthcare systems work to develop programs and policies for the children they serve.
To request a Parent to Parent match or learn more about becoming a support parent as a Dreamweavers volunteer, call Parents Reaching Out at 505-247-0192 or 1-800-524-5176 (Toll Free in New Mexico only) or e-mail DreamCatchers@parentsreachingout.org.